Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Mexico Adventure: Part 2

In the hotel I decided to check out some Mexican television; after all, I did put down a $5 deposit for the remote. After surfing through some channels, I stumbled across a show called Alan y staff durmiendo. I watched... I saw a cartoon character sleeping, who I can only assume was Alan (although, if that was the case, where is the staff?). I sat for 5 minutes, wondering if anything would change. Alan made some small sleeping noises, but nothing else, Alan continued to sleep. This can’t really be a show, can it? I asked. It's just a guy sleeping. I left the show on for 20 minutes to see essentially no change, just a man asleep, snoring.

The next day we traveled two miles to meet at the Jack in the Box on the other side of the border. The line to cross was so long I could not believe it. I was under the impression it would be fast for two US citizens to cross by foot. When nearing the border, a man approached us. I couldn’t understand his spanish very well, but I thought he said he could get us across the border for $6 with no wait. I was extremely skeptical of this and said we were fine. We then walked all the way to the front of the line to see if we were at the right place. Then we went all the way to the back of the line. While waiting we bought some churros from a guy with a cart. It was $1.50 for a bunch of them. I was impressed. I wanted to get some real Mexican churros on the trip. The line was quite slow, and was at a complete standstill most of the time. They let people in in large groups. My wife complained that the line made staying overnight in Mexico not worth it, saying that a $30 room wasn’t worth it if we had to wait in a 2 hour line. I disagreed, “this is all part of the experience” I said. I gave her the churros to help cheer her up. It was in this line that we saw the first others that were clearly American. 

The line was an interesting place, with so many people, all with their own story.  I watched as a family said their goodbyes on the border. A daughter kissed her father goodbye before her and her mother crossed the border. The father stayed on the Mexican side and watched his family walk away.  I didn’t understand a word that they spoke to each other, but I knew what was said.

No comments:

Post a Comment