Friday, April 29, 2016

Mexico Adventure: Brooke's take (Part 2)

So, in the morning, we went to the checkout place, naively hoping they would speak English. They didn’t. I used my data on my iPhone to look up how to say “check out” in Spanish. Apparently it was ‘dejar’ so Ricky went up to the guy and was like “quiero dejar” and I guess it worked because the guy seemed to understand and sent a guy to go look at our room before he could let us leave (at least this is what I gathered from what I thought he said).

After checking out, we started our trek to get back to the U.S. Our hotel was about 2 miles from the border. We used GPS on our phones to get us to the walking border. My phone suggested a much different way than Ricky’s and I was skeptical of the ways he wanted to go. But I am bad with directions to begin with, so I followed Ricky and we eventually made it (after a few U-turns, backtracking, and a stop at a street vendor selling tacos). The line to get across the walking border was SO long! It took like 2 hours! I was impatient the whole time, especially since our San Diego wedding reception was that night. Ricky bought me some authentic churros, which made things better of course. I went in the fast lane since I had a newer passport, and Ricky came with me. The guy at the desk gave Ricky a warning since he should have stayed in the longer lane with the passport he had. He let Ricky through though, and said to consider it a wedding gift since we said we were on our honeymoon. Finally we had made it to the U.S.! We met Ricky’s mom at a Jack-in-the box on the border and went home! What an adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment